Beautiful Card Designs Made Easy

April 03, 2013

3D Embossabilities Folder

Hi Everybody,

Spellbinders have recently brought out these new 3D embossing folders and this one is the Framed Labels 18 

It is the one I have used to produce many of the Letterpress Cards that I have shown you over the last few days... and it has raised a number of questions about the folders themselves.

The  effect from inking up this folder is very pretty and makes a whole card all by itself.

In the video I used the Big 'n Juicy Ink pad but you can use any water based inks that you have.

Distress Inks work really well.

The reason for water based inks is that they will wash off the folder with a little water, or a baby wipe, and leave the folder ready to use again.

But if you use a permanent ink then the plastic that the folder is made from will stain and discolour and although you wash it the stain will probably remain on the folder.

The folders are very deeply etched and so will  give you  a really good impression on your card.


The  pattern inside the inked folder can be seen on the left  in these photos and the printed card is on the right ... . and as I showed you in the video for the Letterpress Technique   the look  can be achieved with any embossing folder so there is no need to rush out and buy more.

In the photographs you can see the difference between the two sides.

But remember  that the raised side you ink up then that is the side that will be coloured.

When the ink is dry you can trim the panel neatly around the edges.

Then mat and layer it onto some matching or contrasting card to add to your designs.

And here again is the finished card... and I have used the inked card just above.

I used a glue pen to pick out the Fleur Di Lis pattern at the bottom of the card and then sprinkled it with Glamour Dust.

The sentiment is from a pack that I bought at the GNPE and there isn't a manufacturers name on it so I can't tell you who made them.  Soreeee !!

It has been stamped onto the Labels 20 and edged with the matching "Bling"  from Want2Scrap.

The flowers are from Wild Orchid Crafts  .... and if you like adding flowers to your cards then watch out for the next  "Give Away" ..... coming soon

I think that covers most of the questions and I hope you will give this technique a try ... you won't be disappointed with it.

Hugs xx


11 comments:

  1. I will give this one a try, not done it yet, yours looks lovely, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for explaining everything so clearly Christina - the letterpress is a very effective technique. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty card. I love this idea, as it stretches the use of each folder we have. Still trying to master making my flowers out of paper without a die!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous!! I have now added this folder to my must-have list!! Have a great day my friend :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a really pretty card, I love this method.
    I used it for the first time the other day and I love the effect.
    Have been embossing so many pieces with different folders I have enough to last for a while!!!!!
    Gives you extra usage for the folders

    Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely Gorgeous.
    That EF has been on my loooong wish list since the first time I seen it.
    I'm off to watch your video.
    Thank U
    ColleenB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to try this one - I just need some more embossing folders (I only have one :( ) lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this embossing folder and I have tried the Letterpress technique with great results, although I haven't done any recently. It is such a simple technique but with a big impact. Thank you Christina for reminding us of it.
    Lynn x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great technique I have used with cuttlbug folders and would love to try spellbinders but I'm not sure if they work in my joy machine, does anyone know?
    Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet another lovely card Christina .keep them coming.
    Marion H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card and I use the letterpress technique a fair bit as the effect is so good. Really like the look of this new folder so may just have to treat myself...... again!

    Hugs Su x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a message to say you have been ...